The Catholic University of America

Teaching Certificate Program (Non-Degree)


This non-degree program, approved by NCATE and NASDTEC, was originally designed to meet the needs of those who hold a bachelor's degree in music and who wish to be certified to teach music in the elementary or secondary school. This program is also available to undergraduate students who wish to pursue music education certification simultaneously with the completion of a Bachelor of Music degree in a field other than music education.

Undergraduate students in Bachelor of Music degree programs other than music education who wish to become certified to teach music (K-12) may pursue the non-degree Music Teacher Education program simultaneously with their declared major. In addition to the adviser in the major area, these students are guided from the beginning and throughout the program by the music education adviser concerning additional courses and other requirements needed for competencies in music education that are not required in their major degree program. These additional course requirements may vary from student to student, depending on the student's major field. Students in the non-degree Music Teacher Education Program must meet with the music education adviser each semester to plan their course of studies.

Students in this program must take the methods classes (MUS 453, 454, 455, 456 as needed), the supervised internship, and the majority of the core courses at CUA. They must pass the Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) Tests. They must pass the test before being permitted to enroll in MUS 455 or 456 and the piano proficiency examination, and take the music education laboratories (general-choral) or the secondary instrument classes (instrumental) in order to enroll for the methods classes.

How to Apply:

Current School of Music students should contact Dr. Sharyn Battersby, Head of the Music Education Division, for an appointment. Her email is Students not currently admitted to the School of Music should also contact Dr. Battersby as well as the University Admissions office ( and request admssion as a non-degree student.